Re: [REPORT] current use of capabilities

From: Andreas Gruenbacher (agruen@suse.de)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 07:14:39 EST

On Sunday 03 November 2002 04:36, Dax Kelson wrote:
> The principle of least privilege says that instead of a system full of
> binaries running as root, we should have a system of binaries running as
> non-root with only the capabilities they need.
>
> The typical break-in involves gaining non-root access first, then doing a
> privilege escalation attack to gain root. A system using capabilities
> makes the escalation attack must more difficult.
>
> How are we currently doing? The following (pathetically short list of)
> binaries use capabilities:
>
> vsftpd
> ntptimeset
> ntpdate
> ntpd
> named
>
> What are the potential users of capabilities?
>
> 47 SUID root binaries (EVERYTHING install of Red Hat Linux 8.0)
>
> Filesystem capabilities support could take care of these SUID root
> binaries. Historically, SUID root binaries have been heavily used in
> privilege escalation attacks.
>
> How about daemons that are launched as root? These could be potential
> users of capabilities + drop root right now.
>
> There is a snag though. When non-root binaries (eg, daemons running as
> non-root but with capabilities) execve(), all capabilities are cleared, so
> if some of these daemons need to exec other binaries with certain
> capabilities, it currently won't work.
>
> "ps aux | grep root" to take a look. We see stuff like:
>
> syslogd
> cardmgr
> apmd
> smartd
> xinetd
> dhclient
> gpm
> crond
> cupsd
> anacron
> rhnsd
> login
> mingetty
>
> This is not an exhaustive list. The system I checked was not running many
> daemons.
>
> In summary, there is lots that could be done today to secure daemons. The
> clearing of capabilities on exec by non-root binaries needs be addressed
> (I posted a patch in May 2002). File system capabilities support can
> fix the large amount of SUID root binaries that exist. OpenBSD 3.2
> (just released) has started to implement a similar technique to get rid
> of SUID root binaries.
>
> Once filesystem capabilities is added to the kernel, RPM and DPKG should
> be fixed so that, otherwise SUID root binaries, can be installed with
> capabilities support automatically.

I agree that package managers should eventually be made aware of capabilities,
like they are now aware of file modes/ownership. There are several other
configuration issues to figure out that may depend on the overall purpose of
a system, like which user(s) are granted which capabilities when logging in,
checking the capabilities of installed binaries, etc.

> This should be the vendors / package maintainers job. The average sysadmin
> should get the benefits without having to think about it.

Yes.

--Andreas.