Re: aic7xxx problem.

From: Philippe Troin (phil@fifi.org)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 20:24:41 EST

Emmanuel Fuste <e.fuste@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem with an adaptec 2940u2w since ... a long time: I tried
> to get it working since kernel 2.3.9x.
> The board work fine in other computer on Linux.
> When I try on mine (old dual cpu i586 asus board) I got this kind of
> kernel messages at boot and less than five second later, the computer
> lock:
> scsi0: PCI error Interrupt at seqaddr = 0x8
> scsi0: Data Parity Error Detected during address or write data phase
> scsi0: PCI error Interrupt at seqaddr = 0x8
> scsi0: Data Parity Error Detected during address or write data phase
> scsi0: PCI error Interrupt at seqaddr = 0x8
> scsi0: Data Parity Error Detected during address or write data phase
> scsi0: PCI error Interrupt at seqaddr = 0x8
> scsi0: Data Parity Error Detected during address or write data phase
> scsi0: PCI error Interrupt at seqaddr = 0x8
> scsi0: Data Parity Error Detected during address or write data phase
> scsi0: PCI error Interrupt at seqaddr = 0x8
> scsi0: Data Parity Error Detected during address or write data phase
> scsi0: PCI error Interrupt at seqaddr = 0x7
> scsi0: Data Parity Error Detected during address or write data phase
> scsi0: PCI error Interrupt at seqaddr = 0x8
> scsi0: Data Parity Error Detected during address or write data phase
> scsi0: PCI error Interrupt at seqaddr = 0x9
> scsi0: Data Parity Error Detected during address or write data phase
> scsi0: PCI error Interrupt at seqaddr = 0x7
> scsi0: Data Parity Error Detected during address or write data phase
> scsi0: PCI error Interrupt at seqaddr = 0x8
> scsi0: Data Parity Error Detected during address or write data phase

8< snip >8

Which hardware is connected to your SCSI adapter? (hint: cat /proc/scsi/scsi)

I've found out that some IBM hard disks give the above error when too
many tagged commands are queued (firmware bug probably). I definitely
have a DDRS-39130D drive which shows this behavior. The old SCSI
driver (5.x) was not as bold as the 6.x driver which is in 2.4 with
regards to queueing: the 6.x driver use 253 tagged command openings by
default.

For me, passing `aic7xxx=tag_info:{{,,,8}}' to the kernel solved the
problems. The above tells the aic7xxx driver to limit tagged queuing
depth to 8 for the drive at ID 3 on the first aic7xxx adapter, but
YMMV.

Phil.