Re: EVMS announcement

From: Kevin Corry (corryk@us.ibm.com)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 10:21:16 EST

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 18:05, James H. Cloos Jr. wrote:
> Kevin> In addition, this switch complicates having the root filesystem
> Kevin> on an EVMS volume.
>
> Actually, this isn't as much of an issue with 2.5-as-it-will-soon-be.
> The initramfs stuff solves the problem for booting, and is exactly
> where boot-time discovery should be.

Yep. This is what I was briefly trying to explain in the announcement. With
initramfs stuff finally going into 2.5, root-on-complex-volume should become
far less of an issue. For our users on 2.4, we will have to help them wade
through initrd for the time being. My real hope is that initramfs will
provide a much simpler method (compared to initrd) for adding new tools,
scripts, etc to be run during early userspace. The info I've gathered about
it so far seems to indicate this will be the case.

> You will need to ensure sufficient integration with hotplug to deal
> properly with such things as external devices (usb, 1394, cardbus/
> pcmcia, iscsi, docking stations, etc) and media bays. But this should
> be relatively easy, yes?

Hopefully, yes. We will obviously want to take full advantage of hotplug, and
any other device-level services that are available.

--
Kevin Corry
corryk@us.ibm.com