Re: [BUG] Failed writes marked clean?

From: Ross Biro (rossb@google.com)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 16:30:41 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

>Also, think about what a write error _means_. Unless the disk is truly
>ancient, it means that the device has run out of alternate space for
>the block, or all writes are failing. ie: it is a serious failure.

I've seen all sorts of interesting drive failure modes, including losing
communications with the drive for a short period and then having it come
back almost as good as new. We've had some data corruption on flaky
drives and I'm guessing this has something to do with it.

I'm going to sit down with our application developers and see what they
want to see from their end and see what I can do.

    Ross