Re: BOGUS: megaraid changes

From: Sam Ravnborg (sam@ravnborg.org)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 14:37:17 EST

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 02:04:27PM -0500, J.E.J. Bottomley wrote:
> I don't necessarily agree. It's easy to miss in all the build noise (most
> average users don't do make -s). And the warning isn't that fierce (it
> complains about a prototype mismatch), so even if it's noticed, it might get
> ignored.

I take this opportunity to advertise for the quiet facility of kbuild:

Sample run:
$> make KBUILD_VERBOSE=0
  CC kernel/rcupdate.o
  CC kernel/dma.o
kernel/dma.c:102: warning: `proc_dma_show' defined but not used
  CC kernel/uid16.o
  LD kernel/built-in.o

Warnings really hurts the eye when using this.
And the filename supplied should be good enough for emacs and the like.
I have seen only a few persons actually using this and I wonder if people
feel they loose some information when presented with this condensed format?

Compared to "make -s" you are able to follow the progress.

        Sam