Re: Problem with VT8235 + DMA patch + PlexWriter W2410

From: Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 15:23:04 EST

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 08:34:35PM +0100, Thor Kristoffersen wrote:

> I have tried, without success, to get a PlexWriter PX-W2410A (IDE/ATAPI CD
> burner) to work with an MSI KT3 Ultra2 (KT333/VT8235) and Vojtech Pavlik's
> DMA patch. Any attempt to access the CD burner produces lots of messages
> like these:
>
> hdc: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> hdc: drive not ready for command
> hdc: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> hdc: drive not ready for command
> hdc: status error: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
> hdc: status error: error=0x54
> hdc: drive not ready for command
>
> The problem seems to be largely independent of the kernel version. I have
> tried 2.4.19, 2.4.20-preXX, and 2.5.46, with the same results.
>
> Simply turning off DMA for the CD burner does not make it work: the
> problem persists as long as the patch is present. On the other hand, a
> different CD burner (Sony CRX-140E) works just fine with the same
> mainboard, with the patch present.

Does the drive work without the patch? If yes, please send me 'hdparm -i
/edv/hdc', 'lspci -vvxxx' for both the cases with and without the patch,
and 'cat /proc/ide/via' for the case with the patch. I'll check if all
the timings programmed really are correct.

Maybe we have a candidate for drive PIO timing black list.

(check: no overclocking takes place on your machine, right?)

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs