Re: devfs

From: Sean Neakums (sneakums@zork.net)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 05:01:50 EST

commence john slee quotation:

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 10:43:41AM +0100, Xavier Bestel wrote:
>> I'm wondering if a totally userspace solution could replace devs ?
>> Something using hotplug + sysfs and creating directories/nodes as
>> they appear on the system. This way, the policy (how do I name
>> what) could be moved out of the kernel.
>
> curious! you mean similar to (and a logical extension of) the
> 'disks' command in solaris? at least i think thats what its
> called...

Except that a /sbin/hotplug er, "solution", would be dynamic. I had
always assumed in the back of my mind that such a solution would make
devfs go away some day, although I don't think I actually read about
it anywhere.

Actually, here's a question: are /sbin/hotplug upcalls serialized in
some fashion? I'd hate to online a thousand devices in my disk array
and have the machine forkbomb itself.

--
[|] Sean Neakums            |  Questions are a burden to others;