Re: PDC20276 Linux driver

From: Geoffrey Lee (glee@gnupilgrims.org)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 11:53:09 EST

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 04:53:20PM +0100, ricci@trinityteam.it wrote:

> On 12 Nov 2002, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 15:43, ricci@trinityteam.it wrote:
> > > During Slackware installation (whith kernel compiled by myself), after
> > > about half a gigabyte written in the disk/disks all process
> > > reading/writeing from/to the disks stop running, I cannot kill them, ps
> > > show me them with the 'D' flag, I cannot umount the disk/disks.
> >
> > What drives, exactly what messages are logged (dmesg) ?
> >

> About what message are u speaking about? Messages logged during boot, I
> can send u tomorrow (the computer is not here). After the hang no messages
> are logged.

FWIW, we seem to have a not-unsimilar problem.

Board is a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP which has an on-board Promise 20276.

For me:

Processes get stuck in D after a couple of days, and kernel log shows
an invalid NULL deference in find_inode() in fs/inode.c, when it does

inode->i_ino

dereference.

It does not check for whether inode is NULL or not.

I realize that appears to be valid, because it appears to me that inode
should never be NULL when it is retrieved from list_entry().

I have the ksymoops oops file available, I would be more than happy to
post that up if anyone wants to take a look.

        -- G.

--
char *p = "\xeb\x1f\x5e\x89\x76\x08\x31\xc0\x88\x46\x07\x89\x46\x0c\xb0\x0b"
  "\x89\xf3\x8d\x4e\x08\x8d\x56\x0c\xcd\x80\x31\xdb\x89\xd8\x40\xcd"