Re: i810 audio

From: Doug Ledford (dledford@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 18:43:49 EST

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 11:38:04PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 23:06, Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> > Alan / All,
> >
> > I assume this is the patch that's been in your -ac kernels for a
> > while? I have an Intel 845GBV board which uses the ICH4 architecture.
> > I'm happy to report that this patch does allow me to use the integrated
> > sound on this motherboard, but one thing that I've noticed is that it
> > seems as though to adjust volume you need to adjust the actual channel
> > (PCM, CD, etc), rather than main volume. Any ideas why this might be so?
>
> It could be the mixer on your board doesnt support main volume control.
> The i8xx audio is half of a whole, it deals with transferring streams of
> audio data and mixer requests down an AC'97 audio bus to a codec which
> does the D/A parts. That codec varies by board.

And in some implementations the codec control labelled PCM2 is actually
main volume, and I've seen one where a headphone was the actual main
volume. So, the answer is tinker with all the available volume sliders to
see if you can find one that actually changes the volume of everything at
once, and if you do find it, use it.

On a side note, Alan, this patch looked to be missing the record causes us
to loose the playback channel patch that you should have.

--
  Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>     919-754-3700 x44233
         Red Hat, Inc.