Re: [patch] remove hugetlb syscalls

From: William Lee Irwin III (wli@holomorphy.com)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 16:38:22 EST

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:34:11 -0800, William Lee Irwin III said:
William> (3) ->f_op->mmap() will hand -EINVAL back to userspace
William> instead of automatically placing the vma, for explicit and
William> 0 start adresses

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:31:21PM -0800, David Mosberger-Tang wrote:
> This sounds like a receipe for creating unportable programs because
> the alignment constraints will be different from one platform to
> another. (Adding gethugepagesize() in libc would alleviate the
> problem but it wouldn't solve it completely.)
> Overall, it does sound to me that the hugetlbfs is so specialized that
> it would be much cleaner to provide a separate interface at the
> user-level. That would leave more flexibility should the
> implementation change over time (which it well might).
> --david

Okay, that's a serious problem. But it's easy to fix; I'll just call
the hugepage vma placement functions that are also used by the syscalls.

Bill