Re: in-kernel linking issues

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 23:13:23 EST

Richard Henderson <rth@twiddle.net> writes:

> These will affect at least Alpha, IA-64, and MIPS.
>
> (3) Alpha and MIPS64 absolutely require that the core and init allocations
> are "close" (within 2GB). I don't see how this can be guaranteed with
> two different vmalloc calls.

In x86-64 (and I think sparc64) the modules (both data and code) also need
to be within 2GB of the main kernel code. This is done to avoid needing
a GOT for calls between main kernel and modules. In the old module code that
is done with a custom module_map() function. I have not looked yet on how
that could be implemented in the new code.

-Andi