Re: Bugzilla bug tracking database for 2.5 now available

From: Michael D. Crawford (crawford@goingware.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 01:33:10 EST

This is much of what I hoped to do with the Linux Quality Database:

http://linuxquality.sunsite.dk/

alas, the dot-com crash happened, and I've been struggling so hard to keep my
little business afloat that I never had enough time to devote to it. It's good
to see that someone has set up a bug tracking system that will be a little more
accessible to the public than a high-traffic mailing list.

I have some suggestions about how you could improve upon bugzilla to make the
database more useful for kernel developers. I mention them on the page above
and in my comment in the slashdot discussion about the new bugbase:

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=45108&cid=4675035

I didn't consider using bugzilla at first because it didn't have the
capabilities of storing configuration info the way I wanted. No bugbase I have
ever used has done that, although I would consider it to be a very basic
feature for a bug database for kernel bug tracking. I'd meant to write a
database app from scratch to do that, which was really more than I could
handle. More recently I'd been contemplating modifying bugzilla to do what I
want, but these last few months have been really hectic.

Some have pointed out their desire for a vendor-neutral location for the bug
database. When I asked around about who could host it, some commercial
companies offerred to, but I went with http://sunsite.dk/ in large part because
they were not part of any company.

The one thing I _have_ been able to do is write some articles on kernel quality
in particular and software quality in general. You'll find them here:

http://linuxquality.sunsite.dk/articles/

The OSDL has been kind enough to mirror the kernel testing articles as well as
translate them into Japanese. I encourage others to mirror or translate my
articles - they are all published under the GNU Free Documentation License.

Regards,

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/
crawford@goingware.com