RE: 2.4.19-xfs eating filehandles when compiled with gcc 3.2

From: Mikael Olenfalk (mikael@netgineers.se)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 07:22:03 EST

When using Gentoo 1.3 (which uses gcc-2.95.4+) I did not experience
these problems even if the packages where almost the same versions (some
packages changed while I was doing the transition).

I'm using the gentoo kernel 2.4.19 with xfs patches, gentoo has included
some other patches too, don't have the list at hand but I can come back
to that later.

I imagine getting some fuzzy warning messages when compiling the kernel,
in the XFS subtree, I can post these if you're interested.

I'll try the newest 2.5.x kernel as soon as the machine finished
bootstrapping again (just reinstalling the system with
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu" CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe
-fomit-frame-pointer" CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS).

I really don't want to give up a GCC 3.2 built system with
-march=athlon-xp since the build time for a kernel decreased by almost
90 seconds after a bootstrap. I.e. a system compiled with gcc3.2
compiled a kernel at 5 minutes and a gcc2.95.4+ system compiled the same
kernel with the same .config in 6:27 minutes.

Regards,
Mikael