Re: Bugzilla bug tracking database for 2.5 now available.

From: Khoa Huynh (khoa@us.ibm.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 16:25:24 EST

Martin wrote:
>I'm not sure we really want this to be 3-level as that'd involve
>replicating all the categories underneath. The OpSys field type
>suggestion as an independant field would be nice, but the Bugzilla
>code will need some tweaking to support possibly different default
>owners dependant on that field.
>
>For now, Jon has created us an "Alternate trees" category, with "ac"
>and "mm" components, with appropriate text in the template to encourage
>people to file bugs that happen (only) on those trees under the
>"tree-specific" categories, and we can move bugs out from there if
>need be. Hopefully that will make people happier for now, there may
>be a cleaner solution long-term, but that needs more thought and more
>work.

I think the problem with this scheme is that all of the components
in the -ac or -mm trees are slumped into a single component.

If we have to use a 2-level component list, then I'd prefer we
do the following:

Category = 2.5-linus, 2.5-ac, 2.5-mm, etc.
Component = something like
      MM-Page allocator
      MM-Slab allocator
      MM-NUMA
      MM-MTTR
      MM-Others
      FileSys-devfs
      FileSys-ext2
      FileSys-ext3
      and so on...

In other words, we just collapse the original category/component
list into a single level, and leave the top level to indicate which
trees.

Of course, only components belonging to a selected tree is displayed.
This would allow each tree to have its own set of components, which
can have different owners.

I have talked to Jon Tollefson and Jon agreed that this approach
is better.

We need to do it ASAP since the number of bugs (50+ currently) is
relatively small. We do NOT want to wait until later to make
any structural changes to the component list because that would
be a nightmare to reclassify hundreds of bugs.

Another option would be to use the "group" concept in Bugzilla to
provide the 3-level component list structure that I described
previously, but this would require some coding changes.

The above approach does not require any coding changes in Bugzilla
and is therefore preferrable.

Khoa