Re: 2.5.47-ac4 panic on boot.

From: Justin A (ja6447@albany.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 17:12:11 EST

On Friday 15 November 2002 03:28 am, you wrote:
> Justin A wrote:
> > I did that...
> > Disabling PM made it boot:
> >
> > < CONFIG_PM=y
> > < CONFIG_APM=m
> > < # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
> > < CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
> > < CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
> > < CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
> > < # CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
> > < # CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
> > < # CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
> > ---
> >
> > > # CONFIG_PM is not set
> >
> > I think I still had swsusp on before I disabled PM...I will have to test
> > more tomorrow to make sure thats it...
> > Perhaps its the CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE that did it?
>
> Could be...
>
> > I had tried linux init=/bin/sh, which got to the shell, then 2 seconds
> > later paniced, so I have a feeling its the idle thingy:)
>
> slab runs a timer every couple of seconds to drain caches which could
> otherwise be wasted-for-ever memory. So it looks like we don't get
> to find out about abuse until much later. Damn.
>
> Oh, it'd be interesting to enable memory debugging under the kernel-hacking
> menu - that may trap the bug when it's happening.

I tried 2.5.47-ac5...
I got the configs confused so I had started from an old one and built up until
it crashed:

(%:/data/src/tp/2.5/linux-2.5.47-ac5)- diff .config ../CONFIG_works
159,167c159
< CONFIG_PNP=y
< # CONFIG_PNP_NAMES is not set
< # CONFIG_PNP_DEBUG is not set
<
< #
< # Protocols
< #
< CONFIG_ISAPNP=y
< CONFIG_PNPBIOS=y

---
> # CONFIG_PNP is not set
213d204
< # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ISAPNP is not set
362d352
< # CONFIG_NET_SB1000 is not set

.config crashes, it oopses as soon as pnp starts, then 2 seconds later the previous oops comes up and it panics.

the only thing I managed to read was that the EIP was in kfree, and most of the call traces had pnp_ in the name

I can't get the rest until I figure out how to get some kind of serial console working...I wonder if I can get it working over infrared to my pda :)

attached is the full .config: -- -Justin