[RFC] use of drm on pci radeons in 2.5.x

From: jordan.breeding@attbi.com
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 13:42:51 EST

I noticed that ATI now has quite a few PCI based Radeons. I also notcied
that
the current drm code in the kernel as well as the dri code in the CVS
Xfree86
tree has code like:

#if defined(__alpha__) || defined(__powerpc__)
# define PCIGART_ENABLED
#else
# undef PCIGART_ENABLED
#endif

which could also be easily modified to allow for its use on x86, however in
drivers/char/drm/Kconfig we have this currently:

config DRM_RADEON
    tristate "ATI Radeon"
    depends on DRM && AGP
    help
  Choose this option if you have an ATI Radeon graphics card. There
  are both PCI and AGP versions. You don't need to choose this to
  run the Radeon in plain VGA mode. There is a product page at
  <http://www.ati.com/na/pages/products/pc/radeon32/index.html>.
  If M is selected, the module will be called radeon.o.

My question is that if someone was running on PPC or Alpha or an x86
chipset
(and modifies the test mentioned above) with no AGP like the Intel E7500
and
was using a Radeon with PCI (like the PCI 7500) why should they have to
enable
AGP in Kconfig just to get the Radeon DRM driver, other drm drivers like
the Rage128 and the 3dfx don't require AGP to be configured first?
Thanks.

Jordan