Re: Bugzilla bug tracking database for 2.5 now available.

From: Murray J. Root (murrayr@brain.org)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 16:08:31 EST

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 05:17:50AM -0200, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
> Em Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 02:10:13AM -0500, Gerhard Mack escreveu:
> > On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> > > This is not an easy problem space, on the one hand you want to have all
> > > bugs tracked, on the other hand, trivial bugs in the bug db just make the
> > > bug db unusable. No engineer is going to put up with 100,000 stupid bug
> > > reports. You need a plan to get rid of those or keep them out of the bugdb
> > > or it's unlikely to get used by the people who really need to use it.
>
> > Or the bugs could just be assigned to whoever owns the patchset ...
>
> or the tickets could just be closed after, say, one month without activity.
>
> If it is really a bug it'll be resubmitted after a while, its not as we'll not
> have duplicates anyway...

Very bad idea. People using unusual hardware do not want to keep
re-submitting a bug report. I know when I submit a report I expect that
it will remain until the problem is fixed. I do not like to receive
multiple copies of a bug report so I don't submit multiple copies unless
it's going to be helpful (like pointing out different versions that
exhibit the problem). If I thought my report was just going to get
dropped because the developer was busy that month I wouldn't bother to
submit at all. I'd rather wait 6 months for a fix knowing that the
report is still in the database than just have it dropped.

--
Murray J. Root
DISCLAIMER: http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/