Re: NMI handling rework for x86

From: John Levon (levon@movementarian.org)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 21:00:17 EST

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00:30PM -0600, Corey Minyard wrote:

> I have attached another patch, this one fixes my stupid bug in
> dummy_watchdog_reset and also adds code to the NMI watchdog to not
> handle the NMI if it has already been handled. Again, you must do a "cd
> arch/i386/kernel; mv nmi.c nmi_watchdog.c" before applying this patch.

I have tested this patch running oprofile on a dual box at 150,000
ints/sec and more, with nmi_watchdog=0,1,2, and couldn't reproduce any
problems.

One thing: since we have the unnatural relationship between the watchdog
and oprofile, I would much prefer that be obvious in the priority. e.g
MAX_NMI_PRIORITY, which oprofile uses, then watchdog is MAX_NMI_PRIORITY
-1. Currently the gap between the two values you use indicates it's OK
to have another handler inbetween, which it definitely isn't.

regards
john