Re: bug in via-rhine network-driver (transmit timed out)

From: Manfred Spraul (manfred@colorfullife.com)
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 04:37:53 EST

>When I do a 'dmesg' I get these error-messages:
>
>NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
>eth0: Transmit timed out, status 0000, PHY status 782d, resetting...
>eth0: reset did not complete in 10 ms.
>NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

The tx_timeout code performs a full hardware reset to recover from
hangs, but it seems that the nic hangs during the hardware reset :-(

The hang could be caused by incomplete tx underrun handling, the
linuxfet driver resets several registers after a tx underrun.
Could you load the driver with debug=3? For example by adding 'options
via-rhine debug=3' into your /etc/modules.conf?

If it hangs again, then send the dmesg messages to the mailing list -
especially the last few lines before the first transmit timeout will help.

--
    Manfred