RE: 2.[45] fixes for design locking bug in wait_on_page/wait_on_buffer/get_request_wait

From: Folkert van Heusden (folkert@vanheusden.com)
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 14:19:53 EST

> Andrea, this makes a difference! The pausings are much less than before,
> but still occur. Situation below.
MP> So, after some time in trying to exchange 2.4.20-rc2 files with the
following
MP> files from 2.4.18 (and compile successfully)
MP> drivers/block/ll_rw_blk.c
MP> drivers/block/elevator.c
MP> include/linux/elevator.h
MP> those "pauses/stopps" are _GONE_!

What is really strange, is that while I run the following in the
boodscripts:

echo "90 500 0 0 600000 600000 95 20 0" > /proc/sys/vm/bdflush
elvtune /dev/hda1 -r 2048 -w 131072

I never experience those stalls at all!
And that was surely I was expecting (clean buffers at 90% and do that
synchronouse at 95% gives little room for the first to complete before new
buffers get dirty. also that elevator-fiddling should force large bursts
(why am I doing this anyway? I wanted to configure the kernel et al so that
as minimal as possible disk-reads/writes occur))