Re: Failover in NFS

From: Ragnar Kjørstad (kernel@ragnark.vestdata.no)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 10:44:08 EST

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 08:34:55PM +0530, Rashmi Agrawal wrote:
> 1. I have a 4 node cluster and nfsv3 in all the nodes of cluster with
> server running in one
> of the 2 nodesconnected to shared storage and 2 other nodes are acting
> as clients.
> 2. If nfs server node crashes, I need to failover to another node
> wherein I need to have access
> to the lock state of the previous server and I need to tell the clients
> that the IP address of the
> nfs server node has changed. IS IT POSSIBLE or what can be done to
> implement it?

No, you need to move the IP-address from the old nfs-server to the new
one. Then to the clients it will look like a regular reboot. (Check out
heartbeat, at http://www.linux-ha.org/)

You need to make sure that NFS is using the shared ip (the one you move
around) rather than the fixed ip. (I assume you will have a fixed ip on
each host in addition to the one you move around). Also, you need to put
/var/lib/nfs on shared stoarage. See the archive for more details.

--
Ragnar Kjørstad
Big Storage