Re: make distclean and make dep??

From: Sam Ravnborg (sam@ravnborg.org)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 12:25:17 EST

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 10:36:20AM -0600, Kai Germaschewski wrote:
> But when do you need the "clean + rm .config*" behavior? I don't see that
> to be such a common case.
>
> That's why I think two targets are enough, "clean" to remove the files
> generated during the build and "distclean" to remove all other extra stuff
> to. And just keep mrproper to be an alias for distclean, since that's what
> "mrproper" traditionally was (AFAIK, Linus used it that way).

People are used to a mrproper that does NOT delete their editor
backup files and patch rejects. Thats the only arguments against
mrproper=distclean.

The main purpose should be to have a clear and logical
distingush between the two/three.
As it is today people are confused, and there is no consistency -
especially between architectures.

I'm fine with a change that moves MRPROPER_{DIRS,FILES} to clean - except
.config.
But I'm not fine with the current situation where I have to say goodbye
to all my .rej files + xx~ files just to force a full recompile.

I will do a new patch tomorrow.

        Sam