Re: useless image of hdd: how to make it useful?

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 15:51:58 EST

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Filipau, Ihar wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> [ please CC me - I'm not subscribed to the list. ]
>
> This question was in my mind for couple of years.
> But after all I decided to ask it. (Better later - than never ;-))
>
> Little prehistory: I had on my old home PC two hard drives - hda &
> hdc.
> hda was big and new, while hdc was old, small and sure it
> contained
> a lot of old useful stuff. So I decided to upgrade my very
> valuable hdc.
> And sure, as simple novice in hdd upgrades, I've made smth
> like:
> # dd if=/dev/hdc of=/root/hdc_img
> And right after upgrade - I got small rebate in exchange for
> my old hdd -
> I understood my problem.
>
> I do not know the way to mount partition table!
> it's possible with loop device to mount partition - but how to mount
> whole
> hdd (with its own partition table) to have access to single
> partition inside???

I believe that you can do it with a network block device, at least in
theory. I lack the inclination to try it, but I'd love to hear that this
suggestion was useful.

You can probably do it with loopback mount and offset, but if I had the
problem I'd try NBD just to see if you really can do it!

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc