Re: sis650/5513 in 2.4.19 (still broken for 650)

From: Lionel Bouton (Lionel.Bouton@inet6.fr)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 05:58:25 EST

On mar, nov 19, 2002 at 09:24:01 +1100, Silvio Cesare wrote:
> Attachment.
>
> --
> Silvio

> No fixes here.. just reports for anyone interested :(
>
> 1) sis650/5513 chipset does not work with UDMA - this was reported a while
> ago, and also reported fixed.. but I don't think its been tested on a
> sis650 specifically, which (for me) appears still broken (fs
> corruptions etc).

This is fixed in AC tree.

> this was reported fixed in 2.4.19; i took a 2.4.18 kernel, and replaced
> drivers/ide/sis5513.c (theres some includes also, but perhaps not
> important). this came up with the same problems as 2.4.18.

The driver in 2.4.19-pre broke latest SiS chipsets in DMA modes. Some 650
were affected -> to be safe DMA was disabled for all of them.
Stock 2.4.19 should not fail but only disable DMA, could you confirm this ?

> 2.4.18 incidentally has a function #if 0, at the end of sis5513.c,
> which I had to make #if 1 (remove) to get a compile (there appears to be
> no other declaration of this code in the tree) - this has probably
> been noticed a long time ago I imagine (?).

IIRC this #ifdef is only for compatibility purpose between different IDE
framework versions.

> for the UDMA issues, recompiling with -->
>
> #define BROKEN_LEVEL XFER_SW_DMA_0
>
> gets it up and running again (ie, without UDMA).
>
> incidentally.. the sis 0.13 code by the maintainers have patches
> against 2.4.18 which break when you run it with #define DEBUG, as
> some var names have been slightly modified.

?! Could you please try the AC tree with #define DEBUG and report the result
to me ?

> 2) External floppy drive via USB not 100% working.. No idea on this one;
> I've included very small snippets of bootup messages, but it's no
> major drama currently (works for the most part), so I don't really
> expect anyone to look at this (especially with the minimal info
> I've provided here) :)

Won't be of much help here anyway :-)

> For the sis650, maybe (?) the following will help -->
> [ I've no real clue how useful or non useful this is, but maybe its
> worth a look for the current development ]

The dump is rather usefull, especially if I know your BIOS config.
Here I assume that each controller is enabled and DMA activated for hda and
hdc, am I right ?

Happy AC compile :-)

LB.