Re: i810 audio (AD1981A)

From: Brian C. Huffman (sheep@graze.net)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 11:09:33 EST

Ok - so I have got this figured out a little more. The Intel 845 board
uses the AD1981A (AC97 compatible) BUT they attach the headphone out (of
the codec) to the lineout on the motherboard...apparently b/c there's a
headphone amp in the chip and this way you can just plug the headphones
into the back of the computer. :-( Now looking at the latest drivers
from OSS and ALSA, this looks to be common, however the register setup for
the AD1981A is different from the others: AD1980, and AD1886...
Therefore, the patches in ALSA to disable the headphone out don't work.

If I can't find a way to write to the registers to make this work
properly, I'd be happy just swapping what the mixer thinks the
registers are for Main Volume w/ Headphone out. Unfortunately, I tried
this (with the kernel OSS) in linux/drivers/sound/ac97.h:

#define AC97_RESET 0x0000 //
// #define AC97_MASTER_VOL_STEREO 0x0002 // Line Out
#define AC97_MASTER_VOL_STEREO 0x0004 // Line Out
//#define AC97_HEADPHONE_VOL 0x0004 //
#define AC97_HEADPHONE_VOL 0x0002 //

This still doesn't work, though!? Can anyone direct me to what I might be
doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Brian