Re: AMD 760MPX dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }

From: Barry K. Nathan (barryn@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 22:47:53 EST

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 04:08:22PM -0800, Manish Lachwani wrote:
> I have seen this errors on Seagate ST380021A 80 GB drive on a large scale in
> our storage systems that make use of 3ware controllers. Seagate claims the
> following reasons:
>
> 1. Weak Power supply
> 2. tempeature and heat
> 3. vibration

You might want to pay particular attention to #2. See below.

> Although, the maxtor 160 GB drives do not show such problems at all. Such
> problems can be eliminated though. From the SMART data, get the bad sectors
> and remap them by writing to the raw device. Those pending sectors will get
> remapped. However, the problems will persist with these drives. In our
> boxes, the operating temperature is abt 55 C ...

Unless they're really really new, the 160GB Maxtor drives are 5400RPM
so they put out far less heat. (The fact that the Maxtors are ball-bearing,
vs. the Seagates' fluid bearings, also helps in this regard --
fluid-bearing drives tend to dissipate more heat.)

55 C is technically within the Seagate specs, but it's arguably a bit on
the high side. If possible, it might be interesting to bring it the
temperature down several degrees and see if the reliability improves.

-Barry K. Nathan <bnathan@math.uci.edu>