Re: [rfc] epoll interface change and glibc bits ...

From: Jamie Lokier (lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 19:28:16 EST

Davide Libenzi wrote:
> typedef union epoll_obj {
> void *ptr;
> __uint32_t u32[2];
> __uint64_t u64;
> } epoll_obj_t;
>
> I'm open to suggestions though. The "ptr" enable me to avoid wierd casts
> to avoid gcc screaming.

That makes more sense to me, because it will be fine to use `ptr' even
on 128-bit pointer machines when they arrive, yet preserves the
property that 64<->32 bit conversion functions don't need to reformat
the buffer when running 32-bit applications on a 64-bit CPU... even if
the 32-bit application uses the `ptr' field.

Did I just write that? :)

-- Jamie