Fwd: Re: agp driver update for linux

From: Rizsanyi Zsolt (rizsanyi@myrealbox.com)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 20:20:15 EST

Hi!

I have the problem that when trying to use my TV Card my machine totally
freezes after a few seconds.
After some investigation and reporting on video4linux-list@redhat.com it
became apparent, that the problem is with my AliMagik1 chipset. And all the
AliMagik1 users are affected with this problem.

After some searching on the relevant sites I have found this FAQ:
---------------------------------
Question :

 When using PCI TV card with A7A266, the system will hang when TV program is
activated.

Answer :

 This is a compatibility issue between Ali Chipset and PCI Card. Please
upgrade to ALi AGP Miniport Driver v1.74 and later or change the BIOS setting
from BIOS -> Advanced -> PCI Configuration -> PCI Latency Timer, set as 10
(Default is 32) to increase further compatibility

Since the bios setting was not enough, I have contacted Ali support to ask
about what was that the Windows driver fixed. See the attached mail below.

It would be pretty good if somebody could implement the things described
below, and send me the patch, so I could test it out.

Does somebody volunteer for that?
It would be nice if the patch would be against a 2.4.x kernel. (like 2.4.19 or
2.4.20 prerelease).

Thanks
Zsolt