Re: RFC - new raid superblock layout for md driver

From: Joel Becker (Joel.Becker@oracle.com)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 14:34:24 EST

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 08:46:25PM -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:
> I haven't yet played with the new dm code, but if it's like I expect it to
> be, then I predict that in a few years, or maybe much less, md and dm will
> be two parts of the same whole. The purpose of md is to map from a single

        Most LVMs support mirroring as an essential function. They
don't usually support RAID5, leaving that to hardware.
        I certainly don't want to have to deal with two disparate
systems to get my code up and running. I don't want to be limited in my
mirroring options at the block device level.
        DM supports mirroring. It's a simple 1:2 map. Imagine this LVM
volume layout, where volume 1 is data and mirrored, and volume 2 is some
scratch space crossing both disks.

        [Disk 1] [Disk 2]
          [volume 1] [volume 1 copy]
          [ volume 2 ]

        If DM handles the mirroring, this works great. Disk 1 and disk
2 are handled either as the whole disk (sd[ab]) or one big partition on
each disk (sd[ab]1), with DM handling the sizing and layout, even
dynamically.
        If MD is handling this, then the disks have to be partitioned.
sd[ab]1 contain the portions of md0, and sd[ab]2 are managed by DM. I
can't resize the partitions on the fly, I can't break the mirror to add
space to volume 2 quickly, etc.

Joel

--

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

Joel Becker Senior Member of Technical Staff Oracle Corporation E-mail: joel.becker@oracle.com Phone: (650) 506-8127 - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/