Re: New module loader makes kernel debugging much harder

From: John Levon (levon@movementarian.org)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 21:35:13 EST

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:20:10PM +1100, Keith Owens wrote:

> The complete lack of kernel and module symbols (no /proc/ksyms) means
> that ksymoops is now useless on 2.5 kernels. If you get an oops in a
> kernel built without kksymoops, there is no way to decode the oops.

Additionally, module profiling is not possible any more.

> Big step backwards, Rusty.

Somebody (this includes Rusty himself) needs to come up with a workable
solution. For my own needs, the start address of the mapped module is
good enough, but it seems you need more than that. I'd be quite happy
with the re-introduction of /proc/ksyms as it would mean no userspace
code changes for me :)

regards
john

--
Khendon's Law: If the same point is made twice by the same person,
the thread is over.