Re: insmod

From: Sean Neakums (sneakums@zork.net)
Date: Sat Nov 23 2002 - 14:25:44 EST

commence Sathyanarayana.A.N - 01cs6002 quotation:

> I have written a kernel Virtual file system which merges different
> filesystem directories. For this I am using a VFS function
> inode_dir_notify() function to notify the parent inodes. Now I want
> my virtual file system to be converted as a module. I am facing
> problems while inserting the module. When I do a insmod it is giving
> Unresolved symbol inode_dir_notify even though it is defined in the
> kernel VFS. It is working in case of statically linked version.
>
> Can somebody please suggest me why this is happening?

Looks to me (a kernel know-nothing, looking at 2.4.19) that since
inode_dir_notify is defined as a static inline function (in
include/linux/dnotify.h), no separate definition is being emitted.
(This inline seems to check whether a notify needs to be done, and
calls __inode_dir_notify if necessary.) __inode_dir_notify *is* a
regular function, but it doesn't seem to be exported, which I believe
means it can't be referenced by a module.

--
[|] Sean Neakums            |  Questions are a burden to others;