Re: modutils for both redhat kernels and 2.5.x

From: Rusty Russell (rusty@rustcorp.com.au)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 19:56:05 EST

In message <Pine.GSO.4.33.0211251830050.6708-100000@sweetums.bluetronic.net> yo
u write:
> I would beg and plead with Linus to back that "crap" out of the kernel
> until such time as it has a snowball's chance of actually working ...
> anywhere. As it stands, 2.5 is now 100% unusable until modules works
> again.

Funny, other people seem to be using it.

> Kernel symbol versioning no longer exists.

That this patch has not yet been merged is crippling your development
efforts HOW, exactly? I was clearly mistaken when I thought that this
was low priority.

> Depmod no longer exists.

This is true. It doesn't need to for 0.7, but it's being reintroduced
in 0.8 for speed.

> Modprobe blindly loads a string of modules without even looking to see
> if it's already loaded.

Yes, this is a bug (and one not reported by anyone, either). Should
be fixed in 0.8.

> The command line args for modprobe are laughingly few (and none of
> the ones a redhat system needs to boot are implemented.)

Really? I don't recall seeing a bug report from you about it. My
Debian system boots fine.

> We're back to the flat module namespace (that patch of earth is now 100%
> salt...)

Um, we always had a flat module namespace. *ALWAYS*. We did put the
modules into subdirectories though. Due to Adam Richter's hard work,
with 0.8 we can restore this (basically for the benifit of mkinitrd,
which I also don't use).

> And every single object that forms a module will need to be
> retooled to adhere to the new module API

Really? How fascinating. I must admit that I hadn't noticed that.

Rusty.