Re: Identifying/activating faster ATAxx modes (WAS kernel config tale of woe)

From: Tomas Szepe (szepe@pinerecords.com)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 08:05:38 EST

> > > The information in "hdparm -i" shows the identification info of the
> > > drive. It doesn't show whether DMA is actually used (you need
> > > "hdparm -v" for this)...
> >
> > While this is true, I fail to see why the -i output would report
> > udma6 as being the current transfer mode instead of a pio one if
> > DMA were disabled.
>
> These were my thoughts until someone told me some time ago that this is
> wrong...
>
> 1. "man hdparm" says: "-i Display the identification info that
> was obtained from the drive at _boot time_", it doesn't give
> information about the current state of the drive.
>
> 2. Try to disable DMA using "hdparm -d0" (you can check it with
> "hdparm -v") - the information displayed by "hdparm -i" won't
> change.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of this. The manpage confirms what you're saying
and adds that the information may or may not be reflecting the current
state.

However, Dennis's -I output also shows udma6 as the mode the drive is
in, and -I info -- according to the manual -- is obtained "directly
from the drive," which I read as "let's ask the drive what it's set
up like at this moment."

Dennis, could you possibly post the "hdparm -v" output too?

--
Tomas Szepe <szepe@pinerecords.com>