2.5.49 module problem

From: Adam K Kirchhoff (adamk@voicenet.com)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 19:40:04 EST

Hello all.

Sorry to bother everyone with what is probably a stupid user error, but in
case it's not I thought I should post my problem to the list.

I recently upgraded my motherboard to one with an ICH4 IDE controller.
Since it's not supported in 2.4.*, yet, I decided now would be a good time
to try the 2.5.* series.

I grabbed 2.5.49, configured a new kernel, built the kernel and modules.
Once done, I installed the modules (make modules_install), copied the
bzImage and System.map to /boot and rebooted into single user mode.

Everything seems fine except for one issue: I can't load any modules.
depmod gives:

QM_MODULES: Function not implemented

insmod does the same.

Now, all my googling has turned up are a couple of other users who have
had the problem. But, in those cases, it's a result of the kernel not
being compiled to support modules. This is definatley not the case this
time. Here are the pertinant lines of my .config file:

CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD=y
# CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_UNLOAD is not set
CONFIG_KMOD=y

And, of course, my /lib/modules/2.5.49/kernel directory is full of all the
modules I compiled.

Any idea what the problem might be? Is this a problem with the kernel or
a problem with the user? If it's something stupid I'm doing, please
enlighten me.

BTW, this happens with both modutils from Mandrake 9.0 (2.4.19) and the
most recent version (2.4.22).

Thanks :-)

Adam