Re: A Kernel Configuration Tale of Woe

From: Giacomo Catenazzi (cate@debian.org)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 03:43:49 EST

John Bradford wrote:

> This demonstrates a very important point - _any_ automatic
> configuration program is likely to cause more traffic to this mailing
> list, and create more work for users and developers that the current
> automatic configuration process:
>
> echo 'My box doesn't boot' | mail linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
>
> The kernel knows nothing about motherboards, cards, etc. It knows
> about chipsets, and nothing else. By definition, you cannot have a
> kernel configurator that works at a higher level than that.

I disagree. When we have a booting kernel, finding out the used drivers
is not so difficult: kernel give us already enough informations (modules
loaded, in drivers that use some resources,...).

The problem is: what will be the use of such minimalistic/optimal but
non-modular kernel?
If I add a new device (such a modem, a printer, new USB device...) or
if I use a new disk with an other FS, the users of an autoconfiguration
will be lost, but not the users of the vendors kernels.

Thus the real problem is: where will use such autoconfiguration? Why?
IMHO it can be used only by expert, to find what drivers is need for
such device (when hotplug cannot help you).

ciao
        giacomo