Re: how to list pci devices from userpace? anything better than /proc/bus/pci/devices?

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 16:41:18 EST

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Chris Friesen wrote:

> I have a situation where the userspace app needs to be able to deal with
> two different models of hardware, each of which uses a slightly
> different api.
>
> Is there any way that I can query the pci vendor/device numbers without
> having to parse ascii files in /proc?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

Red Hat distributions after 7.0 provide `lspci`. You still have
to parse ASCII. FYI, it's not hard to write a 'C' program
that directly accessed the PCI bus from its ports at 0xCF8 (index)
and 0xCFC (data). You need to do 32-bit port accesses and you
can set iopl(3) from user-space.

If you want to 'roll-your-own', I can send you some code to
use as a template.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
   Bush : The Fourth Reich of America