[rmk@arm.linux.org.uk: Re: connectivity to bkbits.net?]

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 11:51:28 EST

Thanks to Russell for doing my legwork.

Mea culpa, I never thought to check to see if sgi had turned off pings.
They apparently have (bummer).

Sorry for the noise,

--lm

----- Forwarded message from Russell King <rmk@arm.linux.org.uk> -----

Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 16:41:19 +0000
From: Russell King <rmk@arm.linux.org.uk>
To: Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com>
Subject: Re: connectivity to bkbits.net?

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 08:25:50AM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> We've been having problems getting out to certain parts of the net for the
> last few days, in particular, we can't get to sgi.com which is unusual.
> If you are having problems getting to bkbits.net, let me know. We have
> a couple of machines at rackspace and I can push repos over there.

I think you're hitting their firewall. If I traceroute to the same
address, it stops at the same place. However, telnet sgi.com 80
"GET /" connects and returns data, so it is reachable.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, telnetting to the http port seems to
be a better test of connectivity than traceroute ever was.

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux

----- End forwarded message -----

-- --- Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com http://www.bitmover.com/lm - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/