Re: 2.4.19-rc1,2 + ext3 data=journal: data loss on unmount

From: Nick Piggin (piggin@cyberone.com.au)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 17:45:59 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

>On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 07:12, Piggin, Nick wrote:
>
>>mount /mnt/backup
>>tar cvf $FILENAME directory
>>bzip2 $FILENAME
>>umount /mnt/backup
>>
>>Upon remounting and inspection, the resulting bzip2 file is corrupted every
>>time. Adding a sync after bzip2 corrects the problem.
>>

>That sounds like a bug in the core code somewhere since the flush should
>have happened automatically on umount. Does 2.4.19 proper show this on
>your box (or 2.4.20-rc) ? [I'd suspect yes but would like to be sure]

For those that don't remember, $FILENAME is in /mnt/backup and
it was 100% repeatable (ie. a data corruption bug). Alan,
unfortunately I can't do a lot of testing with the box now. I
might be able to give it a try when 2.4.20 comes out, or someone
else might be able to. Directory was only a meg or two IIRC
so it shouldn't be much hasstle for someone with a spare ext3
partition.

Nick