Re: [BUG] [2.5.49] symbol_get doesn't work

From: Miles Bader (miles@lsi.nec.co.jp)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 21:11:42 EST

Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:
> > I find the name a bit wierd, BTW -- it sounds like it's going to return
> > the _value_ of the symbol. How about something like `symbol_addr' instead?
>
> Surely the value of a symbol is precisely that: an address.

Perhaps; but in my mind the concept of `symbol' (in C) is sort of fuzzy,
and conflated with the objects to which they refer. If I see

   x = symbol_get(some_variable);

it _looks_, at first glance, like it's going to return the value of
some_variable (maybe this simply indicates that I'm a moron, but anyway).

This:

   x = symbol_addr(some_variable);

is a whole lot more obvious, I think, regardless of how clued in you are.

-Miles

--
Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?