Re: Exaggerated swap usage

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Fri Nov 29 2002 - 11:31:24 EST

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Javier Marcet wrote:

> In recent 2.4.20 pre and rc kernels ( I tend to use the ac branch ), I
> had notice my system, when using X mainly, got terribly slow after some
> use.

First, lets get one thing straight: the problem is the slowness,
not necessarily the swap usage. It is very easy to jump to wrong
conclusions, so lets keep focussed on that part of the problem
which we know to be true before we all start hacking on parts of
the system which aren't related to the slowness...

> I can provide you with dmesg, /proc/meminfo or whatever might be useful.

How about some output (maybe 20 lines) of 'vmstat 1' during the
time where your system is slow, together with a short description
of how large the various processes (X, Mozilla ...) in your system
are ?

regards,

Rik

http://www.surriel.com/		http://guru.conectiva.com/