2.5.x / keyboard goes whacky (linux)

From: CaT (cat@zip.com.au)
Date: Fri Nov 29 2002 - 22:40:10 EST

Sometimes when I use the windows key with the arrow keys the keyboard
goes whacky and I can nolonger type anything in. It used to be that I
could switch to console and then back to X would fix it but not this
time. This happens when I'm in X, using afterstep as the windowmanager
where I define the left windows key + arrows as pointer movement.

As far as whackyness goes, the capslock key no longer works and it's as
if every keypress generates 2 bytes (as if the kboard went into
unicode).

I looked in dmesg and there's only 1 line of clue:

atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x1d0, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.

X version: 4.1.0 (debian 3.0)
afterstep: stable-cvs20020826

Only recourse I have now is a reboot.

--