Re: Exaggerated swap usage

From: Zwane Mwaikambo (zwane@holomorphy.com)
Date: Fri Nov 29 2002 - 23:12:17 EST

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
> >
> > Hmm i'm using 2.4.19-rmap15
>
> Don't think so.

hmm

> > Inactive: 194068 kB
> > HighTotal: 0 kB
> > HighFree: 0 kB
> > LowTotal: 513020 kB
> > LowFree: 2308 kB
> > SwapTotal: 2104432 kB
> > SwapFree: 1251256 kB
>
> That's stock 2.4 meminfo output.

Looks like the little patch monkey (namely me) which puts my kernels
together forgot to apply a patch. You know you need a break when you don't
even know which kernel you're running! All rather embarassing.

> - "Inactive: %8u kB\n"
> + "Inact_dirty: %8u kB\n"
> + "Inact_laundry:%8u kB\n"
> + "Inact_clean: %8u kB\n"
> + "Inact_target: %8lu kB\n"
>

> You're using an extraordinary amount of swap. Is something leaking?

I wouldn't think so, some vmware sessions with 128M RAM which seems to
really use a lot of shmem(?)

nodev 1.0G 361M 663M 36% /tmp

9.2M /tmp
9.2M total

Then there is all the other crap running.

Cheers,
        Zwane (Who is officially taking an extended break)

--
function.linuxpower.ca