Re: [MAY-BE-OT] Slow FTP Transfers between 2.4 machines

From: John Bradford (john@grabjohn.com)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 12:47:05 EST

> This _might_ be OT... certainly I'm not entirely ready to lay this
> at the feet of the kernel just yet. Any pointers to troubleshooting
> documents would be _greatly_ appreciated.

linux-net _might_ be more appropriate.

> Boxes are connected with 10BaseT and a NetGear 10Mbs 4-port hub. Hub
> is further connected to a Samsung cable modem.

> FTP from either box to a decent server via the cable modem may go as high as
> 250-ish k/sec. FTP transfers from box to box start out at ~ 100k/sec and very
> quickly (3sec) drop to a stable 42 k/sec which persists for the rest of the
> transfer, independant of which box is server or client.

Just a few thoughts:

Have you tried connecting them directly via a crossover cable?

Are they definitely connected via a hub, and not a switch?

Maybe one of the cards is jabbering, causing a lot of packet loss,
which is only noticable when transfering between local machines?

What happens when both machines make an ftp connection to a host on
the internet?

John.