Re: is KERNEL developement finished, yet ???

From: Eric Weigle (ehw@lanl.gov)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 10:44:41 EST

>>>Unix (and Linux) developers are far too concerned with clinging to the
>>>30-year-old outdated POSIX standard, which creates numerous problems when
>>>trying to advance new features.
>>Er, 16-year-old maybe?
>Wow! I thought I really knew what I was talking about, but you've really
>convinced me to see things you're way!
>[snip]
"In early 1985, the /usr/group committee was merged with the newly formed
IEEE POSIX Working Group (POSIX stands for Portable Operating Systems
for Computing Environments) and the /usr/group standard was adopted as a
first draft."

UN*Xen were around for 15 years before anybody was brave (or stupid :)
enough to really standardize. The first drafts of these standards are only
16-18 years old.

http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds1-3/unix-standards.html

        Eric H. Weigle -- http://public.lanl.gov/ehw/
temporary safety deserve neither" -- Benjamin Franklin