Re: 2.5: ext3 bug or dying drive?

From: Rolf Eike Beer (eike@bilbo.math.uni-mannheim.de)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 02:01:06 EST

Von Robert Love:

> Overnight, 2.5.50-mm1 took a big stinky shit:

[bad things]

> Nothing particularly interesting was going on (mostly idle X desktop).
> I woke up and noticed the fs was mounted ro. The above was in dmesg.
>
> Rebooted and ext3 replayed the journal and said a manual check was
> needed due to I/O error on the journal. Ran fsck manually, it found a
> whole bunch of orphan inodes including some scary errors like "inode
> part of corrupt orphan inode list" or similar.

>From at least (IIRC) 2.5.46 on I'm getting wrong free block counts in inodes
if I'm writing to discs. Looks like it must be a bit more than just 2 or 20
files, a kernel compile is enough in most cases. It's happening on 2
different hosts, one with SCSI, the other one with IDE. Nothing really bad
has happend until today. But if I can't create new files on a filesystem with
2 GB of free space I know it's time for an "e2fsck -f" on it.

Eike