Re: Proposed ACPI Licensing change

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 21:16:53 EST

On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 00:10, Grover, Andrew wrote:
> In order to solve this, we are considering releasing the Linux version of
> the interpreter under a dual license. This would allow direct incorporation
> of changes. Any patches submitted against the ACPI core code would
> implicitly be allowed to be used by us in a non-GPL context. This is already
> done elsewhere in the Linux kernel source by the PCMCIA code, for example.

I think this is an extremely good idea. I certainly would have no
problem contributing cleanup/fixes to the project under those terms. And
if I did something large and mega cool with ACPI I can still GPL it only
and you can still ignore it 8)

There is a tradition of contributing patches back under the license the
project you are contributing to used (and ACPI is certainly big enough
to be 'a project' not just a patch)

Suits me fine

Alan