Re: /proc/pci deprecation?

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 12:00:44 EST

On 9 Dec 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> I wonder if this is why we have all these problems with VIA chipset
> interrupt handling. According to VIA docs they _do_ use
> PCI_INTERRUPT_LINE on integrated devices to select the IRQ routing
> between APIC and PCI/ISA etc, as well as 0 meaning "IRQ disabled"

Whee.. That sounds like a load of crock in the first place, since the
PCI_INTERRUPT_LINE thing should be just a scratch register as far as I
know. However, it doesn't really matter - we definitely should never write
to it anyway, so the VIA behaviour while strange should still be
acceptable.

Anyway, to get back on the original discussion, I think we should remove
the writing, and then make sure that /sbin/lspci (or some other tool) can
be made to easily show either the kernel irq mapping value _or_ the
"original PCI config space" value. At that point I'd agree that /proc/pci
has outlived its usefulness.

(Although I still think the name database is nice to have - I certainly
prefer it over having a lot of drivers having their _own_ name databases
for printout purposes).

                Linus