Re: PATCH: Four function buttons on DELL Latitude X200

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 14:33:19 EST

Followup to: <E18LBeK-00046y-00@calista.inka.de>
By author: Bernd Eckenfels <ecki@calista.eckenfels.6bone.ka-ip.net>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> In article <m3d6ocjd81.fsf@Janik.cz> you wrote:
> > this patch add support for four functions key on DELL Latitude X200.
>
> we need a more generic appoach to handle those key codes for various
> extensions. I think a pure software reconfiguration of the keymaps or a
> daemon trakcing the raw codes is fine. Perhaps we can make something like a
> hook into the kernel where all untrapped function keys are send to in raw
> format?

The PC only has so many possible keycodes (with E0 and E1 it's still
in the sub-300 range.) It won't fit within 128, but I would really
like an algorithmic mapping from scancodes to keycodes so we don't
continue to have this problem.

For example, using a 16-bit keycode model:

        Scancode Keycode (binary)
        mxxxxxxx m0000000 0xxxxxxx
        E0 mxxxxxxx m0000000 1xxxxxxx
        E1 mxxxxxxx yyyyyyyy mxxxxxxx yyyyyyyy