Re: xxx_check_var

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (benh@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 18:13:48 EST

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 23:40, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> When I look at atyfb_check_var or aty128fb_check_var, I see that they
> will alter the contents of *info->par. Isn't this a bad thing? My

Yes, this wrong, and afaik, it's your original port to 2.5 that did that
;)

> understanding was that after calling check_var, you don't necessarily
> call set_par next (particularly if check_var returned an error).
> Also I notice that atyfb_set_par and aty128fb_set_par don't look at
> info->var, they simply set the hardware state based on the contents of
> *info->par.

Which is wrong too indeed

> Looking at skeletonfb.c, it seems that this is the wrong behaviour. I
> had fixed the aty128fb.c driver in the linuxppc-2.5 tree. James, if
> you let me know whether the current behaviour is wrong or not, I'll
> fix them and send you the patch.

I _think_ my radeonfb (in linuxppc-2.5) is right in this regard too.
Look at the initialization too, iirc, you had some non necessary stuff
in there (calling gen_set_disp, gen_set_var is plenty enough).

Ben.