Re: 2.5.51: new warning from lilo

From: Andries Brouwer (aebr@win.tue.nl)
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 13:02:15 EST

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 08:34:51PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Lilo now presents me with new warning:
>
> Warning: Kernel & BIOS return differing head/sector geometries for
> device 0x80
> Kernel: 8944 cylidners, 15 heads, 63 sectors
> BIOS: 525 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors
>
> lilo did not warn under 2.5.50. Now... Will it boot?

That depends on the options you gave it.
With linear or lba32 the geometry does not play any role.
If you don't give these options then the geometry does play
a role, at least for the versions of LILO I have looked at.
You can give LILO explicit geometry options if for some
reason you do not want to use "linear".

Andries